F-2-99 Visa

F-2-99 visa: long-term residency

F-2-99 Visa

In our previous article at Pureum Law Office we talked about the F-2-7 point-based visa and how it is possible to obtain if you satisfy the numerous requirements and manage to gather enough points to get over the 80-points threshold. But what if you simply do not have the high qualifications that the F-2-7 and many other visas require? Does it mean that you cannot receive a long-term visa, even if you lived in Korea for a really long period of time? That would be too unfair. That is why for those who have continuously stayed in Korea for more than 5-7 years, there is a special type of F-2 visa, the F-2-99.

The F-2-99 visa (Others) is for those who have stayed in Korea for more than 7 years in case of D-1, D-5, D-6, D-7, D-8, D-9, E-6-1, E-6-3, F-1, F-3 visa holders

and more than 5 years in case of E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5, E-7 visa holders.

The preceding length of stay in Korea is the main requirement for this visa, which is why most of those who have continuously stayed in Korea long enough can get it. However, there are, of course, some additional requirements:

  • Financial requirements: having savings/real estate of more than 30 million won (does not have to be in the applicant’s name, can be in the name of any of the members of the household) PLUS the income level should be more than the GNI level (i.e. more than around 33,6 million won), with the exception of the E-7 visa, where the income level should be more than 1.5 of GNI.
  • Language requirements: level 2 and more of TOPIK or KIIP.
  • And as always, you have to demonstrate that during your period of stay you were a law-abiding person with good conduct (will be checked via a document called Criminal background check issued by the police).

Another important thing to keep in mind is the continuity of stay. Thus, you should have not left Korea for more than a month at a time to still be eligible for this type of visa.

To sum up, if you have stayed in Korea for a long period of time, F-2-99 visa would be one of the easiest long-term visas for you to get, while offering the same degree of freedom as any other long-term visa (not depending on a sponsor, freely changing your workplace, ability to establish your own business without making a big investment, etc.)

If you have additional questions, you may contact our office by e-mail or phone number given in the ‘Contacts’ section to make an appointment with our lawyers.

Thank you and stay tuned! More interesting information for foreigners, expats, or those seeking long-term residency in South Korea is yet to come!

F-2-99 Visa

Can we help you with your legal issue? Contact us:

19 thoughts on “F-2-99 visa: long-term residency

  1. hassain miah says:

    Hi I am hassain miah from south Africa i want to come south Korea .how can help me .can answer my email

  2. Ali sajawal says:

    I’m a f2-6 visa holder in korea. I have stayed only one year on f2-6 visa.
    Before f2-6 i have completed my E9 visa 4years 10 months.

    So, now witch visa can i change from f2-6 visa?
    can i change anyone visa from f2-6 visa?
    If yes so what are the requirements for visa change?
    Please inform me something about it.

    I will wait for your reply.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

  3. Melissa says:


    I have studied in Korea for 4 years under the D-2 visa in Yonsei University and have recently started working in a Korean company under the E-7 visa. I was wondering if this counts as 5 years?

  4. Anthony says:

    Hi, Simon,

    I have a question about the language requirements. Can you be working toward level 2 of TOPIK or KIIP, or do you have to have a certificate demonstrating that level before you apply? Thank you in advance.

    • Simon D. Lee, Esq. says:

      Dear Anthony, thank you for your inquiry. We have sent an answer to you by e-mail. Thank you.

  5. Martin says:


    I would like to ask about a requirement for continuity of stay on the same visa type. Soon, I am going to have 5 years on E-7 visa, but at one point I had to move on D-10 visa for two months and then went back on E-7. Would this discontinuity affect my eligibility for the F-2-99 visa?

    Thank you!

    • Simon D. Lee, Esq. says:

      Dear Martin, thank you for your inquiry. We have sent an answer to you by e-mail. Thank you.

  6. Mike says:

    Hello! This is a very helpful site. Thanks! I wanted to ask, though, what the requirements will be when I go to renew my F2-99 in September this year. I called the immigration hotline a couple of times and got conflicting information.

  7. Jamie Wilson says:

    Hello~ I have read in other articles on the Internet that the language requirement for the F2-99 is now KIIP level 4 (no TOPIK accepted). Are you able to confirm that that is indeed the case?

  8. Gabriel says:

    Hello sir,
    I am wondering if the F2-99 gives you the same freedom as an F2-7? For example, if I want to open a business in a different field than than my E7 was registered for, would that be possible?
    Thank you in advance

  9. Muhammad Saiful Islam Khan says:

    I have studied (obtained PhD) in Korea for 5 years with D-2 visa, and working in a govt. research center for 2 years with E-3 visa. I am wondering if this counts as 5 years?

  10. senevirathna delvita ranga prasad says:

    my name is senevirathna delvita ranga prasad and i have been working for 10 in south korea.i changed my visa from e9 to f2-6 in 2018.but f2-6 visa was cancel in south korea and i got f2-99 visa for 2 years with same qualifications.so what are the new requirements of f2-99 visa to chaneg another visa or renew visa?

  11. Stephen Oakes says:

    Hello, I have lived in South Korea and had an E2 visa for about 18 years. Every year or every two years I went back to the states for about a week or two. Only once in 2016 I turned in my ARC card and went back home for two weeks and then returned to Korea under a tourist visa. I traveled around Korea for a year under a tourist visa and in 2017 I got another E2 visa and I am still working in Jeju on my fourth year on this visa. I am just wondering would I have enough for 5 years continously?

  12. Abby says:


    I would like to ask about a requirement for continuity of stay on the same visa type. I remained on E-2 since January of 2017 so soon, I am going to have 5 years on E-2 visa by the end of 2022. However, I plan to move on D-10 visa for two months because I want to take a break from my current job and then I plan to go back on E-2 with the same school. Would this switch in visas affect my eligibility for the F-2-99 visa in the future? Does this mean that I must be on the E-2 visa for 5 years consecutively without switching to another visa to be eligible for the F-2-99 visa requirement?
    Also for the financial requirement, will showing my bank statement that I have more than 30 million won in my bank sufficient as proof? And do I need to show that my income level is more than GNI level per year or per month? Thank you!

    Hope to hear from you soon!

  13. Pingback: F-2-7 Korean Visa

Comments are closed.