Exchanging a Foreign Driver’s License for a Korean One
Our office receives a lot of inquiries related to the exchange of a national (foreign) driver’s license for a Korean one.
Can I Drive in Korea with US License | Or from Another Country?
This is a relatively straightforward process that is the same for most countries. A registered foreigner in Korea may apply for the issuance of a Korean license based on his/her national one by submitting the following documents to a Driver’s License Test Centers located throughout Korea:
- Valid foreign driver’s license
- Apostilled copy of license or a Confirmation Certificate from the relevant Embassy (not issued for the nationals of the US, the UK, Hong Kong, Finland, the Netherlands, Columbia, etc.)
- Passport (if the driver’s license was issued by a third country, it is necessary to provide proof of long-term (over 90 days) residence in that country).
- Entry/Exit Records for the period from the date of birth to now. Can be issued by a Community Center, Gu-office, Immigration Office.
- Alien Registration Card
- Three color photos (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
- Issuance fee (varies depending on testing center, ranges KRW 10,000-12,500).
Please note that it is not possible to have a foreign document apostilled in South Korea, so if you cannot procure a Confirmation Certificate from your Embassy or Consulate in Korea, you will have to process an apostille for a driver’s license in the country of its origin.
Korean Drivers License Test
If you are unable to complete the aforementioned, you can opt to take a Korean driver’s license test.
Can we help you with your legal issue? Contact us: