F-2-99 visa: another long-term residency visa

In the previous article of Pureum Law Office we talked about the F-2-7 point-based visa and how it is possible to get it if you satisfy the numerous requirements and manage to gather enough points to get over the 80-points threshold. But what if you simply do not have the high qualifications that the F-2-7 and many other visas require? Does it mean that you cannot receive a long-term visa, even if you lived in Korea for a really long period of time? That would be too unfair. That is why for those who have continuously stayed in Korea for more than 5-7 years there is a special type of F-2 visa, the F-2-99.

The F-2-99 visa (‘Others’) is for those who have stayed in Korea for more than 7 years in case of D-1, D-5, D-6, D-7, D-8, D-9, E-6-1, E-6-3, F-1, F-3 visa holders

and more than 5 years in case of E-1, E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5, E-7 visa holders.

The preceding length of stay in Korea is the main requirement for this visa, which is why most of those who have continuously stayed in Korea long enough can get it. However, there are, of course, some additional requirements:

  • Financial requirements: having savings/real estate of more than 30 million won (does not have to be in the applicant’s name, can be in the name of any of the members of the household) PLUS the income level should be more than the GNI level (i.e. more than around 33,6 million won), with the exception of the E-7 visa, where the income level should be more than 1.5 of GNI.
  • Language requirements: level 2 and more of TOPIK or KIIP.
  • And as always, you have to demonstrate that during your period of stay you were a law-abiding person with good conduct (will be checked via a document called Criminal background check issued by the police).

Another important thing to keep in mind is the continuity of stay. Thus, you should have not left Korea for more than a month at a time to still be eligible for this type of visa.

To sum up, if you have stayed in Korea for a long period of time, F-2-99 visa would be one of the easiest long-term visas for you to get, while offering the same degree of freedom as any other long-term visa (not depending on a sponsor, freely changing your workplace, ability to establish your own business without making a big investment, etc.)

If you have additional questions, you may contact our office by e-mail or phone number given in the ‘Contacts’ section to make an appointment with our lawyers.

Thank you and stay tuned! More interesting information for foreigners and expats in Korea is yet to come!

4 thoughts on “F-2-99 visa: another long-term residency visa

  1. hassain miah says:

    Hi I am hassain miah from south Africa i want to come south Korea .how can help me .can answer my email

  2. Ali sajawal says:

    I’m a f2-6 visa holder in korea. I have stayed only one year on f2-6 visa.
    Before f2-6 i have completed my E9 visa 4years 10 months.

    So, now witch visa can i change from f2-6 visa?
    can i change anyone visa from f2-6 visa?
    If yes so what are the requirements for visa change?
    Please inform me something about it.

    I will wait for your reply.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

  3. Melissa says:


    I have studied in Korea for 4 years under the D-2 visa in Yonsei University and have recently started working in a Korean company under the E-7 visa. I was wondering if this counts as 5 years?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.