How to Apply for the Korean F5 Permanent Residency Visa While on a Spousal Visa (F6)

Never visit immigration again with the “Holy Grail” of Korean visas.

One of our most common inquiries is whether someone can apply for the F-5 visa when they have been married to a Korean spouse and lived in Korea for an extended period. Yes, you can. But you have to meet some other requirements to get it.

What is the Korean F-5 Visa?

It is Korea’s “permanent residency” visa and it allows its holders to never again have to visit immigration to renew their visa, and is valid regardless of future marital status, financial status, etc.

How do I get a Korean F5 visa?

There are a few ways to receive an F-5 visa, but the most common is by having been a married Korean resident for an extended period of time. You can also get one after having worked in Korea for an extended period of time, having invested and resided in Korea for an extended period of time, etc. We will discuss those methods in future articles.

Requirements for the F5 visa in Korea when applying via marital status & residency

Here is a complete list of the requirements necessary to receive an F-5 Visa:

1. Current Marital Status

Your marriage must be valid at the time of application unless you can submit a court decision where the court has acknowledged either 1) a divorce where your Korean spouse is 100% at fault or 2) recognizing your custody of your Korean children. If you divorced under either of these conditions are still eligible for the F5.

2. Long-term Korean Residence

You must have lived in Korea for 2 consecutive years or more on the F-6 marital visa.

3. Financial Means

You and/or your spouse must have demonstrable assets totaling KRW 30 mil. or more. This money could be in a bank account, be a deposit for housing, or some other relatively liquid financial asset. You also may show immigration the document showing your steady income such as a certificate of employment or bank record of continuous deposit as a salary.

4. A Crime-Free Background

A criminal background check can be obtained from either a police station or prosecutors’ office.

5. A Current Domicile

Document proving your residence at a Korean domicile, such as lease agreement under you or your spouse’s name.

6. Proof of an Understanding of Korean Language & Culture

This is most commonly proven with TOPIK test results of level Topik result (Level 2 or higher) or Certificate of completion of the Korea Immigration and Integration Program (KIIP).

These are the basic requirements, but other documents may be requested by immigration based on your situation. For questions contact the Korean Immigration Hotline at 1345.

Most people have time to handle this on their own, but if you’d like to hire us to handle the details for you, send us an email at [email protected] or click on “Contact Us” above.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *